Making the decision to go to university was huge for me. After highschool I waited 5 whole years to decide what to do and where to do it at. I always knew I wanted to go to school, but when I left highschool the timing just didn’t feel right. Drinking and partying was priority, not introductory calculus.
Now that I’m finally enrolled in university and attending (almost) everyday there are certainly things I love about it, plus some things that drive me crazy.
What I love about University
1. Being in class with people who want to be in class – In primary education everyone is forced to go, but in university it’s vastly different. You end up paying big bucks to get the education you need to further your career. I love having intellectual discussions with people who are passionate about the field they are in. I look forward to being challenged by my professors as well as my fellow peers.
2. I love all the people – Thirty thousand people is nothing to laugh at and even though I went to a big highschool (my graduating class was 650+) I was in a pretty small town. Now Edmonton isn’t a huge city but there are so many different cultures and people at the U of A. I love meeting new people and university has allowed me to meet so many new friends that I would of normally never met.
3. Campus is gorgeous – The U of A’s campus is huge, over 50 city blocks, and all of the buildings have so much character. From the gigantic old oak trees to the stunning detail in the buildings there is always something pretty to look at. Even the newer buildings are intriguing. I love how colorful everything is. They really make it a very welcoming place to be.
What I don’t like about University
1. People who talk in class – Being in my first year means I’m often in huge lecture halls with kids 5 years younger than me. It really drives me crazy when the people sitting in front of me chat the entire class. I’m not a prude and a lot of times I can ignore it but if your class is entirely lecture based I kind of want to pay attention. I could care less who fucked who in a dorm room.
2. The food – This hasn’t affected me so much yet, but when the time comes that I’m on campus for 6 or 7 hours at a time there really isn’t a ton of healthy options to pick from for meals. I know the university is trying to get better, but sometimes it is nice to have more variety than Subway.
Overall I love going to class and feeling like I’m working towards something. My mind needed to be stimulated and going to university just feels right. I’m glad I waited until I was a little bit older to go to class, or I would of been the person fucking in the dorm rooms. and feeling like I’m working towards something. My mind needed to be stimulated and going to university just feels right. I’m glad I waited until I was a little bit older to go to class, or I would of been the person fucking in the dorm rooms.