If there was a 12 step program for makeup addiction I would be the first to join. Unfortunately, no such program exists. Project Ten Pan is the closest I will get to overcoming a makeup purchasing addiction.
The rules of Project Ten Pan are quite simple. You pick ten products that you decide you want to “pan” out, essentially use until you can see the bottom of the product. During this phase, you vow to not purchase any new products. It seems pretty simple so I’m hoping it’s really easy. I am going to check in every fourteen days on the blog, and I am really hoping to have most of my ten products used up by January 01, 2012.
- Foundation – I buy way to much foundation. Quite simply I use it every day and have a panic that I will run out. My skin still acts like a drunk teenager, and I much prefer to keep it covered up. I have three foundation bottles on the go right now, and I want to finish all of them by the end of the month. The Rimmel one is the newest, followed by the Urban Decay and then Mac.
- Blush – Pink, Coral, Red, Bronze, Liquid, Powder and gel. I love my blush. I have colours that haven’t even been touched yet. The colours I want to try and pan are Nars “Orgasm” and “Deep Throat”. Honestly, I don’t know if I will be able to do this by January 01, Nars blush seems to never end, but I will give it my best shot.
- Nail Polish – I have a whole bucket of nail polish, and I try and keep my nails freshly polished (quite rare), so I picked two colours that I love and have decided to try and get the most use out of them for the next few weeks. I have chosen Essie in “Power Clutch” and RGB in “Mink”. The RGB nail polish is a new addition courtesy of Glymm, and I can’t express how much I love this colour.
- Lip Gloss – If I was Eve lipgloss would be my apple. I don’t even want to admit to how many tubes of lipgloss I own. I chose four different tubes of gloss for this project. With the holidays on our doorstep, I find I get dressed up to go out more often. All the colours I picked are about half full, so hopefully I can clear out a few colours by Jan 01. The colours I picked are all MAC Lipglass or Creemsheen Glass and are “Partial to Pink”, “Pink Lemonade”, “Love Nectar” and “Fulfilled”.
- Pigment – I have a few pots of MAC pigment colour, and I am determined to get through just one! I have chosen the shade “Naked”, which is a pale shimmery colour. It looks fantastic when its worn around the eyes or used to highlight cheeks or collar bones. I will conquer this pigment.
- Mac Eyeshadow Palette – This palette was purchased by myself last christmas season!! I have barely made a dent in any of the lovely colours, and as we are rapidly approaching a new holiday season I would like to be able to buy the new MAC palette. I love eyeshadow, and wear it almost every day, so I am hoping to finish this to the pan. The colour of this palette is the ” 6 Dashing Lassie Eye Shadows” in ” A Dashing Lassie”, “Once Upon a Time”, “Magical Mist”, “Bronze”, “Buckwheat”, and “Showstopper”.
- Urban Decay “Naked Palette – I received this amazing palette as a gift last year and really haven’t used it as much as I would of like to. Every single colour in this palette flatters my skin colour and I need to start bringing it out more. I think part of my reluctance to use it is the fact that I don’t ever want it to run out. Now that Urban Decay keeps these well stocked, I will run the risk of using it all the way to the pan. The Urban Decay Naked Palette is very well my favourite combo of colours ever.
- Urban Decay Eye Shadow – “Midnight Cowboy Rides Again” is a coppery colour with big chunks of silvery glitter, rather perfect for a night out on the town. I have already hit pan on this colour, and anticipate that using this up will be the easiest of the Ten Pan Project. If you haven’t tried this colour, you need to go buy it.
- Guerlain Meteorites – These little balls of powder add a gorgeous sheen to the skin. I bought these after lusting after them and my only reluctance was the price ($57!!). I own the pearls in “Beige Chic” and to be honest, I will not finish this project by January 01, there is just way to much left. I will however use it more often, and continue to use it, before I buy anything similar.
- Urban Decay Shadow Potion – I live by this magical little cream. I wear eyeshadow pretty much every day and this shadow potion keeps my eyelids pretty and crease free. I use the original colour, but you can also buy shaded colours. I have many tubes of Shadow Potion, but the professional sized one has to be used first. The tube is so big that it is starting to get hard to push the product out of the little hole at the end.
As you can see I have a bit of a makeup problem. Sadly this is not even a tenth of what I own. Vowing to start using my products and getting some actual benefit from them will certainly help me whittle down my makeup stash. Even though I will be focusing on using these ten products, I still am going to allow myself to use anything else out of my collection that I would like, as in eyeliner, mascara, or different colours of gloss or blush. Using all of the eye shadows all probably be the biggest task, but am going to give it my all, plus it is an excuse to get all dolled up before I leave the house.
Do you have a shopping problem when it comes down to makeup? Do you often “pan” your products before buying any new ones?