Beauty is one of my passions.
I love make-up, perfume and hair products. My girly side certainly shines when the topic of lipgloss comes up. When I first heard of sample boxes I practically squealed. There are currently 4 different service providers in Canada that deliver a selection of 4-5 deluxe beauty samples to your door every month. The cost ranges a bit, but overall I have really enjoyed getting a little treat in the mail every month. I decided to do a little review on each box, and now that the month is almost over and I have received them all I thought I would share my beauty box experience with all of you.
1. Glymm Box - Glymm provides 4-5 samples to your door every month for $10 plus tax. Glymm was my first ever beauty box and I usually love every box I get. Sadly this month is a little lack lustre.
- Sula / Natural Shadow ( in Why Nott) – A creme eyeshadow valued at $8.00
- Burts Bees / Tinted Lip Balm - A pinky lip balm valued at $7.99
- GlamGlow / Tingling and exfoliating mud mask – The sample size is only enough for one use but I am looking forward to trying this mud mask. Full sized bottle is $78.00
- Mai Couture / 2-1 Oil Blotting Bronzing Papier – A blotting paper that doubles as a bronzer, valued at $0.48 for 2 sheets.
Over all the entire box was lacking a little pizzaz. The eye shadow was really nice, but I like higher end products samples. I don’t normally think twice before I spend $8 on a lipgloss.
2 – Loosebutton Luxe Box – Luxe box is the one beauty box that I consistently change my mind about. Some months I absolutely love it, other months I am ready to cancel. Luxe Box is a little bit more expensive, at $12 plus tax every month. This month Luxe Box paired up with Flare magazine to have a limited edition box, although I didn’t find the products we received to be any more unusual than normal.
- CK Shock for her – A pretty decent sized roller ball applicator. This is one of the few perfume samples that was a decent size and a nice scent., full size is 50 ml and I received 10, valued at $9.00
- Redken Color Extend shampoo and conditioner ( 3 sample duos) - I love shampoo and conditioner samples. It’s a great way to try a product you normally wouldn’t buy and I like to have a few samples on hand for travelling or summer camping.
- Mereadesso Beautiful Body Balm – A lotion that leaves your body with an instant glow. This was a good sized sample, yet I found the smell of the lotion to be off putting . Full sized product valued at $54
- Lise Watier 24 Hours Glam Mascara- A gorgeous smudge free formula in a cute giraffe print tube. I have yet to try this sample but am looking forward to it.
My Luxe box was pretty decent this month. According to youtube some customers received a Dermolgica product, so I was a little disappointed when my box didn’t contain it. Overall I will use all the samples in this box.
3- Topbox – Topbox is one of the newer subscription services in Canada. Right now that have quite a waiting list to sign up, but from what I have seen so far they are worth the wait. The products come in a cute cylindrical tube and tend to be higher end ( think Nars). Topbox is $10 plus tax per month.
- Yves Saint Laurent Mascara Volume Effet Faux Cils – This mascara is amazing. It coats my lashes, it doesn’t clump and it stays put all day. Full sized this product is valued at $36
- Yves Saint Laurent Touche Eclat – This is one product I have been wanting to try out for a little while. It is essentially a highlighter and is valued at $50 for a full sized product.
- Pari Beauty eye shadow – I received a wonderful purple colour eyeshadow that was personally selected for me. The packaging is sleek and cute and the product is valued at $11.
- Shu Umera Art of Hair, Full Shimmering Illuminating Shampoo – I have never used a Shu Umera hair product before and was excited to see this in the mail. The product is a fairly decent size (probably 15-20 uses). The full value of this product is $45.
- LillyPilly Kakadu Plum Hand and Body Cream – Lotion samples for hand and body, Full sized valued at $22.
I enjoyed this Topbox. All of the samples were higher end and I like that they customized an eye shadow colour that works with my skin tone.
4- Glossy Box - Last but not least is Glossybox. Glossybox is hugely popular in the UK and just made it’s way over to Canada. They are a little more expensive at $15 per month, but they guarantee 5 luxury samples per month.
- Ahava Mineral Body Cream – I love Ahava products and this body cream is no different. It smells great and doesn’t have a greasy feeling. Full sized valued at $28.
- Skin Care Moisturizing Stick by Elizabeth Grant – This is a new to me product that works wonderfully under lipstick. It leaves my lips hydrated and nourished and as a bonus we received a full sized sample valued at $12.00
- Essie nail polish in “Keeping You Whimiscal”- I am a sucker for nail polish and I was so glad to see a full sized polish. The colour is the perfect pinky- purple and reminds me of spring. Full sized product is valued at $9.99
- Oscar de la Renta “Live in Love” perfume – The sample was good size but it was not at all what I would wear. When something like this happens I usually just give the sample to someone else. In a house with 5 girls someone will always wear it.
- Prevage Day Anti Aging Cream by Elizabeth Arden – I fell hard for this day cream. My skin looks great after I put it on. The only downside being the way it smells ( very old ladyish) and the price ($160 for a full sized). The sample was enough to last me two weeks though, so that is always a bonus.
- Beauty So Clean Sanitizing Wipes and Mist – A beauty cosmetic sanitizer wipe and mist. I have yet to try this product out but I love the idea. I am a freak about keeping my beauty brushes clean and will let you know how this turns out.
Overall all four boxes were alright. Receiving samples in the mail every month allows me to try a bunch of new products on my student budget ( which seems to get smaller and smaller by the month). I probably won’t keep all four boxes as it does get expensive, so next month after I receive one of everything again I am going to narrow it down to my favourite two boxes.Have you ever received a beauty box? What is your favourite way of finding new products?